Naftogaz Exploration and Production has created an Expert Board of 11 leading Ukrainian scientists and practitioners in the field of geological exploration and hydrocarbon production. The Expert Board members will join the development of Naftogaz's strategy to increase gas reserves and an exploration and production program. The first constitutive meeting of the Expert Board was held on August 27, 2020.
“Without a significant increase in hydrocarbon reserves, Ukraine will not be able to count not only on an increase in gas production, but even on its maintenance. By developing an updated strategy to increase the resource base, we strive to attract all the available experience and expertise. On the one hand, we have the support of international advisors who bring best practices of the West to our activities. On the other hand, we are committed to maximizing the use of the powerful domestic research and practice potential. We invited experts who have built the industry and have unique knowledge of Ukrainian subsoil to become part of the Expert Board. Thus, we can be sure that we have taken into account and used all reasonable efforts to achieve strategic goals,” said Oleksandr Romanyuk, Director of the Exploration and Production Division of Naftogaz Group.
The Expert Board is made up of the following members (alphabetically):
- – Oleksandr Akulshyn - Deputy Director General for Research, Ukrainian Oil and Gas Institute, Doctor of Engineering Sciences;
- – Vitalii Vitryk – Director General of Scientific and Production Enterprise “Drilling Technique”, Ph.D. in Engineering Sciences;
- – Mykola Yevdoshchuk – Doctor of Geological Sciences;
- – Bohdan Klyuk – Ph.D. in Engineering Sciences;
- – Oleksandr Kondrat – Head of the Department of Oil and Gas Production of Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas, Doctor of Engineering Sciences;
- – Yurii Krupskyi - Doctor of Geological Sciences, Ph.D. in Geological and Mineralogical Sciences;
- – Serhii Kurovets – Vice-Rector for Scientific and Pedagogical Work of Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas, Doctor of Geological Sciences;
- – Oleksandr Lukin - Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Doctor of Geological Sciences;
- – Igor Muzychko - Geological Engineer, Academician of the Ukrainian Oil and Gas Academy, Expert in Oil and Gas Field Development;
- – Illya Rybchych – experienced manager in the gas producing industry, scientist-inventor in the field of subsoil use;
- – Illya Fyk – Head of the Department of Oil, Gas and Condensate Production of the National Technical University “Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute” and Head of the Department of Geology of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Ph.D. in Geological and Mineralogical Sciences.
The Expert Board will hold regular and offsite meetings, following which its members will develop guidelines and proposals for the exploration and development of Naftogaz fields. The company will consolidate these efforts and apply them in its activities.
“Ukrainian gas producers and, in particular, Naftogaz, currently operate mainly in depleted fields, and this is the prime factor in today's stagnation of the industry. To encourage active growth, it is necessary to discover new fields with reserves of at least 20-30 BCM. With this in mind, we need to focus on new promising directions, provide companies with new large promising areas for exploration, look for new opportunities at great depths, on the Black Sea shelf, as well as develop unconventional gas deposits. This requires a substantial resource - both scientific, technical, and investment. I hope that my experience, as well as the experience and expertise of other scientists and practitioners will help Naftogaz obtain an effective strategy to increase the resource base and implement it efficiently,” said Illya Rybchych, a member of the Expert Board, Ukrainian scientist, merited worker of the oil and gas industry.
Details about the Expert Board members can be found here.